Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Books, books, books.



As a general rule, our local thrift store has a fairly pitiful selection of children's books...at least of those of a calibre that I am willing to add to our collection.  But I've got to say, yesterday we struck some serious gold.





It started innocently enough with a book of Frogs and Polliwogs.  But then...wait...a second book with polliwogs?  Off and running.



Next it was a trio of beginning readers published by Sonlight Curriculum.  Since I'm currently obsessed with all things homeschooling (and am trying to convince my husband to join me in this) I snatched those right up.  Sasha is already reading and thoroughly enjoying them.  Score!



For my little Sophie, who is obsessed with dancing and all things ballet, we have a beautifully illustrated book of stories of several classic ballets.  So pretty...and will be good for me, too.


I remember my mom reading these books to my brother and I when we were kids.  I loved the pictures of the germs in the Louis Pasteur one.  Great early biographies complete with good values.  Love these.

I also brought home a stack of classics--The Jungle Book, Swiss Family Robinson, Pinocchio, Tales of Uncle Remus.  Then there were some coloring and early penmanship books (with the stickers still there!), some history books (including a book of activities about Ancient Rome!), and a whole whack of other fun and beautifully illustrated stories. 

There was also a copy of the Berenstain Bears in the Dark which we have read no fewer than 10 times since I gave it to them at bed time last night--what better way to pass a very windy Wednesday indoors?  Yes, we love us some Bear Country stories here. 

In the end, the whole lot--two large shopping bags full--cost less than $17.  Add those to the new puzzles I picked up at the dollar store and I think I've got a handle on the Basket of New Diversions I'm putting together for once I'm confined to arm chairs with a nursing baby in a few weeks (or days, if we're lucky). 

Victory is mine!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog :) And yes, thanks for linking up in my Market YOur Biz and Giveaways.

    ReplyDelete